During the COVID-19 pandemic, when some of our regular activities and movements are restricted, it is even more important for people of all ages and abilities to be as active as possible. Even a short break from sitting, by doing 3-5 minutes of physical movement, such as walking or stretching, will help ease muscle strain, relieve mental tension and improve blood circulation and muscle activity. Regular physical activity can also help to give the day a routine and be a way of staying in contact with family and friends. Here are some easy ways to be physically active today!
- Join in online active games or activity classes, also look for online physical education classes as well as exercise routines suitable for adolescents.
- Set up playground games indoors such as Jump rope and hop-scotch – make up new games and challenges that involve being active.
- Learn a new skill – for example try an learn to juggle.
- Encourage doing some muscle strength training activities such as lifting weights or use improvised weight such as bottles full of water or sand.
- Climb up the stairs as much as you can, think of it as an opportunity to be active.
- Use household chores as a way to be more physical activity.
- Join in an online exercise class or make up your own routine to music you enjoy that uses the major muscle groups and raises you heart rate.
- Do some muscle strengthening activities such as lifting weights or improvise using full bottles of water or simply use your own body weight and do sets of press ups, sit ups and squats.
- Make time for fun, such as dancing to music